What are Pervertibles?
A pervertible is simply a non-kinky everyday item that can also be used in a kinky manner. Pervertibles range from sensual and pleasurable items to evil sadistic, GET THAT THING AWAY FROM ME, items. If you’ll look around right now there’s probably a handful or more of items that can be used in a BDSM context, just open your mind and look at things with a kinky mindset and you’ll be surprised at what you find that might send a chill down your spine and make you shudder!
There are potential pervertibles for almost every activity, but consideration should still be given to whether the item is safe enough to use. Even the most innocent items can add some excitement and be a source of arousal as a result of the associations we form with items that we see every day. Perhaps in impact play, you use a belt; every time you see the belt, every time you wear the belt, you will have an added thrill.
When evaluating a pervertible to decide whether it’s safe to use, you can consider these aspects:
- Can the item be cleaned, and if so, how?
- Does the item have any sharp edges or points?
- Can the item break easily, and if so, would it splinter or shatter into sharp pieces?
It’s usually a good idea to pick items that deliver the sensations to you and your partner in the ways you intended.
Common Household Items
The most common types of pervertibles are items that can easily be repurposed and added to the toy bag. A wooden spoon makes a mean paddle and can be picked up almost anywhere that sells household items for a couple dollars. Right next to the wooden spoon are evil, yet amazingly fun, wooden clothespins! A staple in almost any toy bag, they can add a level of intense pain as a zipper or just a little to “wake” up the nipples.
You have incredible choices available to you from various places around your house.
Working from home – The Home Office
- Rubber bands
- Computer cables
- Phone chargers
- Dessert spoons
- Serving spoons
- Salad serving spoons
- Baking trays (flat)
- Chopping boards
- Wooden spoons
- Rolling pins
- Frying pan
- Fish slice
- Various foods
The Laundry/Supplies Cupboard
- Clothes hangers
- Detergent bottles
- Broom handle
- Dust pan
- Fly swat
- Hair Brushes
- Sink plunger
- Shampoo bottles
- Shower curtain rails
- Towel rails
- Coat hangers
- Clothes and bedlinen
- Long-handled shoehorn
- Makeup brushes
- Elastic hair ties
The Garage/Garden Shed
- Paint stirrers
- Paint brushes
- Garden plant stakes
- Dowel rods
- Bungee cords
- Tie downs
They’re great if you want to get your kink on but you’re on a budget, if you want to try a new sensation without the cost, or if you find yourself somewhere without your toy bag and want to have some fun.
Where to Find Pervertibles
We have talked about a few household items that can be used as pervertible tools for Impact Play scenes, but there are plenty of other options out there that either requires a little imagination to piece together or a little searching in the right places.
Heading to the local “dollar” store (or whatever your equivalent would be) can provide you with a fair few options. Kids toys, such as toy swords and mini (or larger) lightsabers, and fly swatters spring to mind, but with your mindset on Impact Play, you may find you discover more. For example, the squeaky rubber chicken toy packs a decent thud, and the squeak certainly adds a little cheekiness to the atmosphere.
Cheap earphones could very easily be used as a small and rather stingy flogger too, buying a few sets for very little money, tying a knot at the desired flail length, and then wrapping the leftovers into a handle with tape to secure it could be a great little investment.
Other options include a trip to the toy store; it would certainly be possible to build an impact tool from K’nex! The garden center would easily provide something as a substitute for a cane and enough twine to create your own make-shift flogger. Hardware/DIY stores are another classic spot for kinksters to go browsing for pervertible items; dowel rods, dustpans, large paintbrushes, paint stirrers, the list goes on.
Stores such as Target, Kmart, and the like are also great providers of inadvertently kinky items. The kitchen aisle, of course, bears many fruits, but even things as simple as a tea-towel can be turned into an impact tool. There are endless amounts of wires with various end types in the electronics department and I can’t help but think snapping a cucumber across a sub’s backside would be rather satisfying.
Equine tack stores are wonderful places to pick up leather hobbles for cheap, cut the link away and you have heavy-duty leather ankle cuffs. Also, look down the “whip” aisle, you’ll likely find an assortment of quirts, lounge whips, bullwhips, and several other “bats” that make a great impact play toys for rather cheap.
Playful Tips and Tricks
When it comes to kink on a budget, impact play is no exception. One of the great things about impact play is that you can use almost anything. If you can hit someone with it, and it creates a sensation, it counts. Think about wooden spoons, spatulas, rulers, dowels, books, game boards, rolling pins, chopping boards, broom handles, hairbrushes, chopsticks, and all the other things! Get as creative as you like. Here are a few simple tips and tricks we have picked up on our journeys.
- Incorporating temperature play with impact play is a great option. Collect a range of different metal serving spoons, tablespoons, utensils, and even that old school heavy metal ice cream scoop and place them in the freezer for up to an hour. Take them out of the freezer and run them quickly under cold water so they won’t stick to your play partner’s skin. You can play a little guess the spoon game or make the most of the chill factor and do a little genital impact play.
- One of the most entertaining pervertibles I have come across so far is hands down an electric fly swat. If you are in need of a good laugh then torturing your sub with swats and zaps and watching the reactions is worth its weight in gold.
- Rubber Bands are highly underrated as a form of impact, but they also make a fantastic correctional device. One rubber band worn on the wrist pulled tight and pinged whenever your sub/slave/s-type does the undesired behavior. It could be bad language, biting their nails, sighing, it even helps to stop them from overthinking. The small impact is enough to correct and change behaviors or break bad habits and is absolutely vanilla world safe.
- The acrylic rod that is used to open and close some blinds makes a great cane, just be careful, that break easily.
- A hairbrush has been used as a paddle for centuries. Turn it over and use the bristles on the area beforehand for a little abrasion play.
- Items such as spatulas or spoons are common pervertibles, but how about a wooden chopping board? Finding a small one with a handle could be a great substitute for a paddle; just be sure the weight of it is manageable to avoid straining the wrist.
Point is, many everyday items we use can be pervertible. Just hold something in your hand and look at it with a kinky mindset and you’ll be surprised just what your mind comes up with! Use common sense and proper precautions and have some fun.
Contributors: This article was researched and written by Bryan, Mistress Michelle, Mister Ward and Ondine, and published by Umlindi.
These educational topics wouldn’t be possible without the hard work and dedication from our Dom(me)sLife contributors – Thank you MM